Making Microsoft the first console manufacturer to offer such a scheme! Definitely another sign of MS listening to their fans. Make no mistake though, this is HUGE news!
The above image appeared on the Xbox sub Reddit and it appears to be full of details for the refund program.
The program is fully outlined on the dashboard; obviously we can’t read it all but here is a transcript of the entire message along with T&Cs of the program;
You’ve spoken; we’ve listened. In support of offering gamers the freedom of choice, we’re making changes to the Microsoft Store purchase experience by offering customers a simple way to instantly return digital products like games and apps through account.microsoft.com. When a game or app leaves you wanting more, we’re here to help. Self-service refunds on Xbox One and Windows 10 provide a quick, simple way of returning a digital product.
To request a self-service refund:
1. Navigate to account.microsoft.com and sign-in.
2. From the top menu bar, select Payment & billing > Order history.
3. Navigate to a purchased game or app, and select Request a refund.
Please note the below conditions for requesting a self-service refund:
• Games and apps are eligible for self-service refunds within 14 days of purchase if you have less than 2 hours of play time across all accounts.
• DLC, season passes, and add-ons are not eligible for self-service refunds.
• The game or app must be downloaded and launched before requesting a self-service refund.
• You must wait for at least 1 day after the game or app’s release before requesting a self-service refund.
• Certain Windows 10 apps may not be eligible for self-service refunds.
• Microsoft reserves the right to block access for users who abuse self-service refunds.
It seems to be very much like steams refund policy and it is a giant move towards introducing consumer rights to the digital space!
Now it’s Sony’s and Nintendo’s turn to offer something similar!