It’s Tuesday, that mean that it is time for another gaming soundtrack that’ll make you so frightened it’ll make you stop playing games. Last weeks song can be found here and it proved that a game doesn’t have to be a horror to have frightening music – this week is going to drive home that fact!
Remember the steps you need to take in order to reach Defcon Brown!
- turn off the lights
- headphones on
- close your eyes and sit back
- be terrified
Today’s scary soundtrack is lifted from ‘Pokemon Red/Blue’ and it the; now infamous, Lavender Town theme!
While Pokemon is a strange game to have a spooky soundtrack we must remember that Lavender Town is famous for its burial ground for dead Pokemon, Pokemon tower(in which ghosts are regularly sighted). In the remakes the tower is gone in place of a radio channel but there is a house in which the Pokemon are buried called ‘The house of memories’. As scary as it is strange (especially as it’s one of the few references to death in the Pokeverse) but it gets weirder, these ghost Pokemon can disguise themselves as human ghosts!
The spookiness of Lavender Town cannot be contained to a series of cartridges either! A quick google search for “Lavender Town” brings up a myriad of results that are just as frightening as the music!
- Lavender Town Syndrome – Is the urban myth that there is a tone (the so-called “Lavender Town tone”) which can only be heard by children between 7 and 12 and was linked to medical issues including brain hemorrhages and violence towards other children and it even caused many to commit suicide.
- Lavender Town Possessions – is another urban legend that states that all games with Lavender Town are possessed because of a cut boss called “Buried Alive” who if he beat you would drag your sprite to hell.
- Gary’s dead Raticate – In Pokemon Red, Gary (or whatever name you give him), will challenge you to a fight and would send out a Raticate. If you beat him, he will be standing outside the Pokemon Tower and will challenge you again; this time Raticate is not in his team. You have killed his Raticate. Murderer!
- Pokemon Black Version – in which unown (who didn’t appear until Gen. 2) wold randomly flash on-screen and spell “LEAVE NOW”.
- Escape from Lavender Town – is an Indie horror game based around subtext contained in Lavender Town.
Lavender Town is truly a horror fans dream town, and it deserves its place in my Scary Soundtracks!
Lavender Town, did it frighten you as a kid?
Did you even notice its theme was so creepy back then?
Let me know in the comments!